Forums
Gallery
Membership
Contact Us
Safety/Training

ProShooter.Org Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ProShooter.Org » Arms Room » .30 Caliber Club » STG58 vs. SA58?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STG58 vs. SA58?
JeepDriver

"Sig Driver"
Shooter # 34

Icon 5 posted      Profile for JeepDriver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright I'm stupid! What's the difference?

I've been lusting after a FAL, and I think I want a DSA built gun. But I don't know the difference in the types of FAL's.

The STG58 is selling for $920 while the SA58 is over $1200. Why the price difference?

I'll be shooting cheap surplus ammo through it. I'm not worried about it being a tack driver, but I don't want a rifle that shoots8' groups at 100 yards either. My main concern is getting a 100% reliable weapon that I'll have for many years to come. I'd like to get 10 or so Mags to go along with it.

This will also be my first Main Battle Rifle, and my first semi auto rifle besides my SAR1.

I'm not buying any time soon, most likely not until July. But I figured it was time to start the research. [M16]

Shots Fired: 915 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SJetwrench
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple answer is the STG58 is the DSA parts kit built upon the Austrian STG58. Whereas the sa58 is DSA's own creation.

For just a shooter go with the STG58, Also go over to the Fal files for more info.

Have you considered a M444 from Dan's sporting goods? or A ARS Or a AZex Arms Fal? there is almost too much info out there. I hope this helps out.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armoredman
Contributor
Shooter # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armoredman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna FAL, too, but that will be some time way in the future.....

--------------------
If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Shots Fired: 580 | From: AZ | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GunnFixr

Shooter # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GunnFixr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were my dime, I'd go for the SA58. You have a lot more options with the Sa than you do with the STG.

--------------------
HK Owners are not snobs.
We are just acutely aware that our guns are better than yours.

Tony@ACTShooters.com

The HK P7M8 is an aquired taste...taste one and you'll have a need to aquire it!

Shots Fired: 1881 | From: Battle Creek, Michigan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpet
Plinker
Shooter # 98

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually,
You can get some of the DSA options on your StG58. I just picked up a StG58 carbine today. Technically it's used, but I know the previous owner and it's never been fired. He had DSA "hand pick" all the parts so it's mint. Anyway, he had DSA use the regular DSA plastic handguards and install a DSA lightweight brake too. This thing is gorgeous! It'll look even better when I get that "Izzy" furniture on it [evil]

Either way, they're both great guns. The Steyr parts are about the best there ever were (as far as militarily). DSA does a GREAT job with 'em.

BTW, Jeep what kind of deal do you get through Continental?

Rich

[ 06-11-2003, 14:31: Message edited by: Trumpet ]

Shots Fired: 81 | From: MD | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeepDriver

"Sig Driver"
Shooter # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeepDriver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, Jeep what kind of deal do you get through Continental?

Not sure yet. I haven't talked price since I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to buy or when I'm buying. I just spent a ton of money on a tool box so gun buying is going to be a bit hard to get past the wife

They usually take pretty good care of me over there. The owners son runs that store and we're pretty friendly towards each other

[ 06-11-2003, 14:59: Message edited by: JeepDriver ]

Shots Fired: 915 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeepDriver

"Sig Driver"
Shooter # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeepDriver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well with winning the M1A I don't think I'll be going for the FAL any time soon. Thanks for all your input

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Smilies

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ProShooter (Home)